Tuesday 1 May 2012

Introduction


I have not written this blog to turn you off getting pregnant or put the fear of god into you if you are already pregnant. Let’s face it, if you really want a baby, you’re not going to let anyone talk you out of it or put you off. I have written this as a form of a ‘heads up’. They type of heads up I never got from any book, doctor or website. I went into this whole pregnancy thing expecting something totally different to what I’m actually experiencing. I mean I’m sure the end result will be the same, but the journey has been far from what I ever imagined it would be.

I am currently 24 weeks pregnant with my 1st baby, a little girl. The amount of reactions and changes that have occurred within my body in the last 6 months is mind blowing. Being sick (for my entire pregnancy so far), having major food aversions, being insanely tired, mood swings, teenager style pimples, leaky boobs… I know, I make it sound so appealing, right? But I’ll be totally honest, overall I have not enjoyed much about being pregnant. Don't get me wrong, I am so grateful that I am pregnant and have a healthy little baby in my belly and I love feeling her moving and kicking and growing. That side of it is lovely. But the other aspects of it, not so enjoayble. And this is the side of pregnancy I think needs to be more openly talked about.

I need to emphasise that everyone is different and everyone’s pregnancy experience will be different. You might experience some, all, or none what’s talked about. You might experience other things not mentioned too. It’s your pregnancy & your body will do it it’s own way, good bad or otherwise.

You might be one of those people who absolutely love being pregnant. You might be feeling energised and glowing and be able to eat whatever you feel like.. If you are one of these lucky people, I hate you good for you! However, you could also feel like death for the 1st three months, or if you’re super lucky the whole 9 months. On the other hand you might feel slightly off but nothing extreme. Like I said, everyone is different and everyone’s body will react differently to growing a little human.

If at any stage of your pregnancy are you seriously concerned about something you are experiencing, please call your doctor, midwife, obstetrician or even take a visit to your nearest hospital. It is better to be told it’s just a massive bubble of gas then to ignore it and have something terrible happen to you or your baby. And I can guarantee you won’t be the first woman to front up with grave concerns only to have it turn out to be nothing. Like I said, better to be safe then sorry.

This blog is based around a low risk, average pregnancy. No special needs, no complications or conditions. I’m just writing about my own personal experiences & those of people around me.

So, I hope you enjoy this blog, or at the very least feel more normal after reading it.

Ali x

No comments:

Post a Comment